Oct 12, 2010

Thoughts?

So, as the weather cools off here in the mid-Atlantic area, I find myself pulling out my very old and sad looking winter coat. I got it as a Christmas gift from my mom (I picked it out) probably 6 years ago. It's lasted through several rough winters, 3 jobs, and 2 pregnancies (poor thing!). It's done it's duty and is falling apart. So, amidst my other many projects, I'm going to slowly piece together a new coat. I'm in no major hurry - it's still early in the cool season and I have another jacket that can suffice until the big snows. But I really want to take my time and create a beautiful, well-made, lasting piece a-la-Gertie. I have no desire to do the Lady Grey (as beautiful as it is), it's just not my style. I'm picking another pattern, but using the same techniques. I found a really beautiful wool blend from Mood. What do you think?
And  I love, love, love these horn buttons to go with it.


I'm at a loss for what sort of lining to use. What kind of fabric should I use? Should I go with a solid or a print? With a medium weight wool blend, should I bother interlining for warmth? I've never attempted outerwear before, so I could use a little advice and encouragement from those of you who have. Thoughts, advice, and cautionary tales would be appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Last year I made a winter coat, a very simple one. It was medium weight wool and I lined it with flannel backed satin. The good stuff, not what you can get at Joann's. I was amazed at how warm the coat was all winter long and I live in Michigan. They mostly come in solids so if you want a print lining then you'll probably need to underline it depending on how warm you want it. What pattern are you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterick 5535 - thigh-length, no lapel, with belt:
    http://butterick.mccall.com/b5535-products-12357.php?page_id=154
    Good choice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it a lot! It's very cute and very classic. You'll get a ton of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...