Aug 29, 2011

Vogue 1241 - Kay Unger Dress

It seems like ages since I've finished anything, and in reality, it sort of has been. The last time I sewed was March. *shakes head*  I can barely believe it, myself. I guess I just wasn't in the mood. And I was finding other things to occupy my time. I discovered digital scrapbooking, and for a solid month it dominated most of my spare time. And let's face it, with a 2 and 4-year-old in the house, 'spare time' is quite sparse. 

Vogue 1241 - Kay Unger
But, at long last, my mojo returned and I set to work on this newer Vogue pattern. I thought this would be a perfect dress to wear to a wedding in September, in which my husband is the Best Man.

It looks like it should be fairly complicated. It is a designer pattern, and it has several interesting design features. The pleated neckline, the rouching on the front and back princess seams, square seaming, invisible zipper, full lining. Maybe it's actually relatively simple, maybe the directions are really good, or maybe I'm just getting a lot more comfortable in my sewing skills, but this went together like a breeze. I was fairly confident that I would get through the entire thing without a single unpicked seam until I accidentally sewed to the bottom of the center back seam, eliminating the kick vent. Oops. Minor, though, and easily fixed so I'm considering this a complete success anyway. :) 


I used a navy blue and white polyester print (cute, but very cheap) in case my first designer Vogue didn't go so well. The only issue I have with the finished design is that you absolutely must tack down the front cross over. It hangs open in such a huge, breast-bearing way that it's impossible not to sew it closed. 

It has a lovely silhouette. The side rouching covers whatever sins the large print doesn't.



Close up of the neckline pleats
I'll try to get some photos of it on after I've had a chance to shower and gather my wits about me. I've spent most of the morning doing laundry and getting the older of the little ones ready for preschool. I'm so not a morning person, and I move very slowly before noon. ;)

** EDITED TO ADD **

On-body photos, as promised.



Now, I just need to find some awesome red shoes!

9 comments:

  1. Your dress is lovely! I recently purchased this pattern. It is in my list of dresses to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with this dress. I love your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful dress. You look amazing. Do I really need to add another pattern to my stash?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is perfectly fabulous and you look very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really beautiful, the fabric and the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is just beautiful! I purchased this pattern when it first came out, but have been hesitant to make it up because the armscyes seam so revealing on the pattern jacket. Your version has convinced me that it's worth doing. Thanks for posting this. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress, I love the fabric, pattern combinaton. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding. Thank you reviewing this dress. I have this pattern and am glad to see it sewn up. Thanks for the tip on the "breast exposing" cross over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous work! I want this pattern now, you enabler!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...